January 30, 2013

Thrifted Wedding Dresses



So, as soon as I got engaged, it was a big joke.. well maybe not really... that I would find my wedding dress at a thrift store or Craig's List.  Well, I didn't.  I actually fell in love with a beautiful designer gown at a boutique, and it was about $1000... which is actually the cheapest dress I even tried on! Wedding gowns are insanely expensive these days!  We didn't buy the dress at the boutique because there was still one more boutique to go to the next weekend. My mom ended up finding my dress online from Deanna Bridals for $312... and we ordered it.  You may think I'm crazy for ordering it from China, but it said the designer name on it so I thought it HAD to be the exact dress.  Well it came  in the mail two nights ago, and I facetimed with my family as they opened up the package for me.  Turns out it isn't the designer dress but a replica. My mom and stepmom are on their way to my apartment for me to try it on. I'm so nervous! I hope I love it as much as the original! Hopin', wishin' and prayin' it works for me because there's no returns, only exchanges! 

About the dresses above... aren't they beautiful?? These I found at the Goodwill for $40!! I think they're beautiful, but they just weren't the style I was going for... shabby chic, duh! haha. The bottom one fit me perfect! What do you think of them?

Would you ever order your wedding gown from China or buy it at a thrift store?

ps. sorry this is so lengthy!
pps. please excuse my bra straps


18 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe you found those gorgeous dresses at Goodwill! I got my dress from a bridal shop, and yes they are expensive! But my dress was on sale for $100 off when I bought it, so I'm happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love the second dress on you! I wouldn't mind buying my wedding dress cheaper like you did, but I wouldn't get it from Goodwill. Just something about it makes me want the dress to just be mine, no previous history on it.

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first dress, I think it's beautiful! I think I would if I found one I loved, it wouldn't matter where it came from if I loved it. I had my wedding dress made for about 500.00 many years ago and then my sister wore it when she got married a few years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are pretty dresses! And good for you for finding a great deal on your dress. Hope it is everything you want it to be. :) I actually got a bridesmaid dress I loved in white for $250. It was perfect for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really great dresses! They are really beautiful.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I designed and made my wedding dress for about $150 in materials. And I loved it. It makes me nervous to order stuff from China...but who knows?! Hope it works out!

    Bobi
    http://westernwarmth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dress was brand new (just a floor model) a store had donated to a church-run thrift store. I scored it for a cool $180.00. Not bad for the first thing I ever tried on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post and blog! I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog & following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Let me know!

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last one is super pretty, can't believe it was thrifted! But I'm sure yours is gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, at the thrift store. I know you didn't get that one ;-)

      Delete
  10. I'm a big thrifter. Mostly vintage. But almost all of my friends thrifted their wedding dresses. I've seen so many gorgeous ones, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm getting married in May, and I went looking around for my wedding dress in October. The first place I went to was a consignment shop in the town I'm from, just to see if they had anything that was like what I was looking for, and although I didn't buy any of the dresses I tried on there.. I am glad I went because it helped me realize that I don't have the first dress that fits or looks good, I should get the dress that I love and truly want! So, we went to a boutique right after that, and I found the perfect dress! Plus, I got a super discount since it was the sample dress!

    I know that was a suuuper long post, but it's kinda cool to find someone in the semi-same boat as you! I thought so hard on ordering a couple of dresses from online, but I just couldn't get myself to do it. I had to see it in person!

    (again..sorry for the super long post, ha)

    xo
    Kristina
    kristina-in-retroworter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. girl, that bottom dress looks great on you - I seriously can't believe its from a thrift store. I've never even seen wedding dresses at thrift stores! I hope the replica dress is just as impressive as the real version - can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was very lucky. I found mine a month ago at a boutique. The store had a rack of dresses for 80% off. I paid $280 for my Gladis By Sottero and Midgley wedding dress. I can't wait to hear more about your wedding plans and see your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would be so scary to relieve it isn't the exact same dress. But I just read your latest post and I am so glad everything turned out good. I am actually in the mist of wedding planning and I need to start looking for dresses!
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking Beautiful. It a perfect dress for a bride.

    Chinese Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I saw the second on Say Yes to the Dress!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete