January 3, 2014

resolutions

IMG_8773 IMG_8771
Shirt: Target $20
Jeans: Charlotte Russe, gifted [similar]
Boots: $40 [similar]
Necklace: Bargain World Thrift Store, $8
Bracelet: JCP (clearance) $2
Total Outfit Cost: $70

I've never been one to make actual new year resolutions. Of course I'd like to be healthier and more fit, but I know that it being a new year and making it my resolution isn't going to make me make that happen. Anyways, this year I decided to make an actual resolution for myself. So I feel like I've gotten through sort of step 1 of becoming a Christian, through Christ I have a relationship with God. (disclaimer: there is no actual steps of becoming a Christian, but of course you can read about it in the Bible!) Now, I'm ready to serve God and spread His love to others. My resolution this year is to become more selfless and Christ-like and to talk more about my faith (something that has always been though for me). I want to show God's love through things even as small as smiles and simple acts of kindness. 

I also have some resolutions for my little space in the internetz.  I want to get back into thrifting like I used to, so that I can show off more of my thrifty finds. Since I've been working a full time job now, it's hard to find the time to. I also want to branch off from my back porch (ahem the lovely brick wall to my house is getting old) and take some outfit shots in cool locations. I work downtown so they have so many cool old buildings and walls that would make for good back drops! I need to conquer my fear of being seen taking my own pictures! I also need a new tripod. Mine doesn't have the part the screws onto your camera and hooks on the tripod. I ordered one on ebay for $13 and it's crap. It's way too light weight and the little piece doesn't screw on tight enough so my camera could just fall over at any second (just like it could now).  Any suggestions on tripods and public tripod selfies would be greatly appreciated!  ;)

13 comments:

  1. I love the outfit and your New Years resolutions! I can't wait to see all of your new pictures :)
    -Becca
    whyshesings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for spreading the love of God. That is my main goal too. Remain in His love
    k at www.beautystyleandgrowth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on taking pictures in public... man, it's hard not to not feel stupid about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so I'm amazed that your pictures are selfless! They come out so good! Just don't let your camera take a tumble : ) I'm excited to see your thrifty finds next year. It's fun thrifting and seeing what others come up with too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Not to belittle your aspirations for God! That's awesome! I feel like God makes great things happen when we're open and willing to do anything for him. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the outfit! Good luck with the resolutions. I only set fun ones for myself this year. At least you do have the pretty brick wall! I don't have a ton of great backdrops in my apartment space... loving the brick! :) hehe Anyhow, maybe if you start out taking your pictures at time like early morning there will be less people out and about while you get comfortable with it? I wonder about these things myself. :) Happy 2014! -Alexandra Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute combo! These are great resolutions. I feel like I need to do a better job of sharing my faith too, and as for thrifting, I think I had a serious case of buy all the things last year when It came to thrifting and I want to d a better job of buying because I love and not because it's $3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's pretty cool how different your resolutions are. I decided that I'd take on that whole "word of the year" thing. I chose "simplicity." I'm always complicating the crap out of things, including my outfits and my lesson plans. I need to get back to basics in so many areas of my life. By the way, the brick wall must still make an appearance every so often because I just love it so much! What a weird thing to say and like, but weirdo is as weirdo does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing in faith is one of my goals for this year as well! I think you might like this post: http://thepreachersword.com/2014/01/02/becoming-like-christ/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your outfit!!! Great resolutions! I always feel dumb when people see me taking pictures just on my porch so being in public is scary to me too. Haha! I commend you for wanting to try it out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your outfit! Good luck with the resolutions! :) Can't wait for you to get back to thrifting though, you're part of the reason I started my own blog about thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I just wanted to write a note saying that I love your blog and I'm so thankful for it. I love style and shopping, but I have a very small budget. It can be so discouraging at times to see so many style blogs full of designer things. The underlying message seems to be that you have to be able to afford that stuff in order to have style. That's why I'm so thankful for your blog! You always look so chic and you encourage me to bargain hunt because you make it look so do-able! Also, I love your resolutions and what you said about being more selfless and Christ-like. I feel like we'd all be better off making that our goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your blog and all the thrifty finds you share :). A couple of years ago, I found a tripod at WALMART nonetheless and I'm not 100% sure but I believe it was under $20. It screwed into the camera and worked perfect for what I was using it for. I would check there and see if it's something that could work for you. I'm not sure how far it extended. We lost it in a move :(. Good luck! If you find one, share how you like it!

    ReplyDelete